Oct 11 - Guilford County Beekeepers Meeting

Postings related to current events or news about honey bees and beekeeping

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

ski
Guard bee

Oct 11 - Guilford County Beekeepers Meeting

Post by ski »

I picked up a good sized head cold and will not be able to make it to the meeting tonight Oct 11.
It sounds like it will be a very informative meeting. Can someone take notes and post them, I sure would appreciate it.

Roger Simonds, lab manager at the USDA-AMS, will speak about testing of agricultural products including
honey and other products of the hive.

Thanks,
Ski
Just some thoughts.
Wally
Guard bee

Re: Oct 11 - Guilford County Beekeepers Meeting

Post by Wally »

Sorry, didn't see your post until after the meeting. It was an interesting talk, but not much that isn't on all the forums. Call me tomorrow and we'll go over the highlights.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

One of the more interesting points was about the finding of fungicides on pollen and in the bee bread. If I got the presentation right, he noted that lots of fungicides are sprayed while plants being pollinated are blooming. The fungicides also have some anti bacterial properties and affect the beneficial digestive bacteria in the bee. As it mixes pollen with honey to make bee bread, some of the biological actors that help "cure" or make the bee bread nutritious are not present in the adult bee, and the quality of the bee bread is diminished.

If I have this wrong, someone post and correct me, please.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Rob,
I chatted with Wally today and he echoed your post.
Thanks guys,
Ski
Just some thoughts.