An Unusual Call from American Airlines

Bee related information that doesnt fit any where else

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Jacobs
Guard bee

An Unusual Call from American Airlines

Post by Jacobs »

David and I were doing a small round of extracting honey this morning when I got a call from American Airlines. The representative had two bees with yellow marks in two screened boxes. I explained that they were queen cages with honey bee queens in them and that they were safe. The bees could not escape. The representative said that that did not matter. They could not fly--at least on American Airlines. He said that the passenger had already flown out of PTI. I told him I would be happy to come and get the queens. David drove me to the airport and the AA representative met me outside arrivals and departures.

I am "banking" 1 queen in a queenless set of bees David and I removed Friday from a house under renovation. I am banking the other in a hive that I know swarmed and suspect was unsuccessful at requeening. As soon as the weather gets better and I determine that the bees are not hostile, I will begin the real introduction process.

Sometimes it pays to answer the phone.
Attachments
American_Airlines_IMG_1931.JPG
American_Airlines_IMG_1931.JPG (49.46 KiB) Viewed 6274 times
American_Airlines_IMG_1930.JPG
American_Airlines_IMG_1930.JPG (41.77 KiB) Viewed 6274 times
WannaBee1
Forager

Re: An Unusual Call from American Airlines

Post by WannaBee1 »

Thank goodness the local American Airlines agents did a little GCBA club research and called rather destroy those queens and their personal "flight attendants" in those cages. I think that says a lot for public awareness of honey bees and other pollinators. Who knows how many more bees will manifest because of their action. Yay! :D