Swarming prep observations - anyone?

Bee related information that doesnt fit any where else

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

reedyfork
Guard bee

Swarming prep observations - anyone?

Post by reedyfork »

My bees definitely seem to be weeks behind compared to the past few years, so as soon as folks begin to see charged swarm cells, I would love to hear about it! So far, I am not seeing any real swarming preparation or swarm cells, even in my strongest packed colonies.

I am certainly seeing tons of flying drones now and some empty queen cups, so we're not far away...
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Swarming prep observations - anyone?

Post by Jacobs »

Lots of drones, no swarm mode in hives for me, yet. I did get a short video from a member of this forum showing what appears to be a move-in in a bait hive he put up earlier this week. I have asked him to post in the swarms/removals category.
reedyfork
Guard bee

Re: Swarming prep observations - anyone?

Post by reedyfork »

Well, I think I spoke too soon about my own colonies. I checked my home hives on Thursday afternoon, and the strongest one did have at least one uncapped, charged swarm cell with larvae and jelly. I removed two frames of brood to boost a weaker colony and replaced with empty drawn comb in the hopes of changing their minds for now...

When the weather cooperates next, I'll plan to reduce the number of swarm cells down to a couple nice ones (assuming I find some), and use those frames in my split.