Removing lower hive body in winter

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

reedyfork
Guard bee

Removing lower hive body in winter

Post by reedyfork »

In my switch to an all-medium setup, I have one last remaining deep hive body (on the bottom) that I need to remove and retire. My plan was to wait until this winter when they were generally broodless and the cluster had moved up into the two mediums above it, and then pull off that bottom deep. A secondary benefit would be shrinking their space for the remainder of the winter into the two mediums...

Any flaws to that strategy, provided I do it on a decently warm day? I was targeting the Dec 21 timeframe when I would be doing my OAV treatments.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Removing lower hive body in winter

Post by Jacobs »

Seems like a reasonable plan to me--as long as the bees cooperate and don't stay down in the hive.
Linda
Nursebee

Post by Linda »

Too funny, I am going from all mediums to adding deep bodies. Only one hive accommodated my plan this summer.
frank
Nursebee

Post by frank »

I am using 8-frame mediums only including nucs. Though there are more frames to go through when doing an inspection, I like the ease of swapping frames between brood boxes and supers and there is only one type of frame to purchase.