Swarm catcher

A Place to Describe or Review Beekeeping Equipment or Products You Have Made or Purchased

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Wally
Guard bee

Swarm catcher

Post by Wally »

I had a call from a member today asking what to do when you suspect your hive is going to swarm. He had never heard of a swarm catcher box, so after explaining it to him, I thought I would post it here for others that may have a use for it. You mount it on the entrance of your hive when you suspect a swarm. When it happens, the queen cannot get through the excluder, so the swarming bees return and join her. You then close the unit, move it to another hive and reopen it. They go into the new hive and set up housekeeping. The foragers can work through the excluder, but the queen is trapped, so they don't leave. After a few days, remove the catcher.

https://beezneedz.com/product/swarm-catcher/
reedyfork
Guard bee

Re: Swarm catcher

Post by reedyfork »

I had no idea this even existed - thanks Wally! A few questions:

1. Have you (or anyone else here) used this and been successful?
2. When exactly are you supposed to put it on? I wouldn't know what "signs" to look for. I've seen my hives swarm before, but really only during the act itself...
3. Thinking that the swarm intends to move far away, what's the likelihood you could move the swarm to an empty box and keep it in your own yard? Or would you have to plan on moving it away and housing the swarm somewhere else?
Wally
Guard bee

Re: Swarm catcher

Post by Wally »

1.. I haven't. I learned of it after I retired from keeping.
2.. When you have multiple queen cells being built, or other signs.
3. That's why you leave it on the new hive until she has brood. Then they won't leave,