honey pricing

Post your questions about honey, candlemaking, mead, or pollen here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Kurt Bower
Guard bee

honey pricing

Post by Kurt Bower »

I haven't raised my honey prices in a few years.
I am wondering what that market is bearing for

1 lb
1 pint
1 quart

thanks
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: honey pricing

Post by Jacobs »

Each person should set his or her own price based on the demand for their product. That being said, my neighbor and I have had no resistance to $7.50 for a pint in our area.
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

From what I have heard this year will have a short honey crop and the market will bear a price increase.

If you sell out by Christmas your price may be too low but if you sell out around May then it is about right.

I know people here that will be charging $7/ lb. 9/pt. and 16/qt. this year and 6 for 12 oz. bear
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

I was in Washington DC for the 4th of July and visited a small Famers market on July 5th. They were charging $7.25 per pound.
A lady on Hwy 70 in Sedalia, NC is charging $8.50 per pound and she said that its selling very well.
Just some thoughts.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Thanks for the specific input.
To clarify I have raised my prices to
Pound - $6.50
Pint - $8.75
quart - $15.00

I know that the market can bear more but I guess I am trying to take care of my many long standing customers the best I can,

I tried the mini bears at $2.00 and am thinking this might be a little high. The truth is I think most of my customers are scared about the lack of local honey and are most interested in larger quantities.
I am noticing a lack of poplar in my honey this year as well.
Wondering what others are observing.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

The honey I extracted this year is lighter in color and does not have the reddish tint that is supposed to indicate Tulip Poplar. There are many mature Tulip Poplars in my area and the blooms were out for a significant amount of time, so the bees were finding something they liked better.
pholcomb
Forager

Post by pholcomb »

This is my 2nd year of beekeeping and 1st year of harvest, and I noticed the same thing. I pulled 14 frames between early May and early June, and all produced a very light honey that looked like clover honey. But I rarely saw the bees foraging the clover during the poplar flow, which is to be expected, but that doesn't explain the absence of poplar from the honey. I live near the arboretum, but I didn't see the bees heavily foraging anything there during the poplar flow. What could the primary nectar source be if not poplar or clover?

Paul
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

In my neighborhood there are a lot of holly and holly-type plants blooming about the same time as the Tulip Poplar. The bees work them and the different types bloom in a sort of sequence rather than all at the same time. During this time, the smell of the blooms and the smell of nectar curing in my hives is very similar. I have not tried to find images of "holly" honey, but would not be surprised if the color matched what is in my jars.
llbstones
Newbee

Post by llbstones »

$8 -8oz
$12 -1 lb
$25-quart