Wayne's bees

Maybe you are looking for something specific or maybe you just have some beekeeping supplies you no longer need. Post it here and see what happens.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

beeramm
Nursebee

Wayne's bees

Post by beeramm »

I decided to use 3 lb. packages of "Wayne's bees" for my new hives. Contacted Larry Tate and he replied I was already too late to order for this year. Does anyone know how/where I can obtain some? Thanks.
beeramm
Nursebee

Re: Wayne's bees

Post by beeramm »

Sorry. I just realized this post should have been in the "wanted" category and I do not know how to change it. I'm a technology dinosaur.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

It is moved. It took me a few minutes to figure it out. Moderators can move posts--if we can remember how.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Give me a call. Maybe we can work something out. I got an email from a member today. He lost 5 out of 7 hives this winter. The only survivors he has are his 2 wayne's hives.
336-302-2708
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

I have not checked with Larry Tate but maybe you could get a "Waynes Bees" queen and requeen a package or a captured swarm.
Just some thoughts.
beeramm
Nursebee

Post by beeramm »

Jacobs - thanks for putting post in the right place for me - i'll try to do better in the future.

Wally - I will give you a call to discuss my options.

ski - I'm new at beekeeping this year and the bees i get this spring will be my first. I have read about re-queening but I'm hesitant to try that right out the gate. Maybe it is easier than I think?

Thanks all.
herbcoop
Forager

Post by herbcoop »

Can someone tell what waynes bees are? A new kind of hybrid?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Wayne Rich, of Sophia, NC began beekeeping sometime in the 1960's as a hobby to have honey for his family and pollinate the family farm. He only knew what the older local beeks taught him and what he learned from experience. He never medicated a hive in any way. He had the normal die off and the normal swarm catches that were common in those days. By 1987, he had approx. twenty five hives. When the mites showed up he lost all but one hive. That hive survived and begin casting swarms. Some lived, some died. In 2001, Wayne had 5 strong hives. He gave me a swarm from one of them that year. I placed that colony in a yard by itself and began to catch swarms, make splits, use swarm cells to start nucs, and use eggs and larva from that hive to bait trap outs. Of all the colonies I have started from that hive, and it has been many, none have ever been reported to have died from mites. None, as far as I know, have ever been treated. When I let someone have one, I asked to have them marked and traced, not treated, and report back if any ever died from mites. None have ever reported to me that they died from mites.

Wayne passed away Dec. 26th, 2008. Since that time, I have promoted these bees as "Wayne's bees". In 2010, Larry Tate, of Tate's Apiaries accepted a colony of Wayne's bees and began to graft from them. He is also going treatment free with them. So far, he is happy with their production, temperament, and longevity. He has not had any die from mites.

Larry Tate is now selling Wayne's bees queens.
herbcoop
Forager

Post by herbcoop »

Thanks Wally,
I only had my one hive and it's gone, my boss said if he could he'd give me a split off his Italian, he had 2 but one of his did the same as mine plus he has 2 Russians.
I'd love to get a split of his Italians and a Wayne queen bee.
I contacted Tates and Janice told me that there is a waiting list for them & on their web page states not taking for local bees ( Iguess Waynes) but are taking orders for bees they get from GA
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Give me a call, herb. I plan to raise a few Wayne's queens this spring, starting in about 2 weeks.
herbcoop
Forager

Post by herbcoop »

Thanks Wally! :D
herbcoop
Forager

Post by herbcoop »

Wally wrote:Give me a call, herb. I plan to raise a few Wayne's queens this spring, starting in about 2 weeks.
It was good talking to you Wally, I appreciate your help
specialkayme
Forager

Post by specialkayme »

Looking to get some Wayne's bees next spring, wondering if anyone can help.

I've been trying to get some of these bees since April of 2012, with no luck. Every time I contact Larry Tate, I either don't get a response, or he's sold out. Trying to get my ducks in a row for spring splits, and was really hoping to get my hands on a few. Can anyone help?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I e mailed a few days ago requesting a couple of spring Wayne's queens from Larry and have not heard back yet. If I have gotten my place in line, that is good enough. I don't need the earliest possible queens, but want ones where weather & drone situation gives the best shot at well mated queens. I would go ahead and e mail and then maybe follow up with a phone call.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Contact Larry now, and come spring, if you want to come down here and work my bees with me, I'll give you a couple for the help.
That is, if mine make it to spring. I haven't looked at them but once, and didn't do anything then, since June.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I am definitely planning on coming down and helping, in addition to placing an order with the Tates. Based on what I am seeing going into winter and the "winter" we are having so far, I am guessing that I will have equipment to put bees in if we can raise some additional Wayne's queens.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

OFF TOPIC, but he may not see it otherwise...... HAPPY BIRTHDAY specialkayme.

Now back to Wayne's bees.

I am open to using my two hives, if they survive, for eggs and larva, whoever wants to come down.
pholcomb
Forager

Post by pholcomb »

I got a package of Wayne's Bees from Larry in April this past spring. Because it was a 1st year hive I didn't take any honey this year but the hive is doing great going into winter. Heavy with stores and a very low mite count.

I might raise some queens from this hive using the Cloake board method in the spring, but of course the traits of the Wayne's Bees will be diluted after the new queens mate with the Italian/Carniolan drones in the neighborhood.

Paul
specialkayme
Forager

Post by specialkayme »

Thanks for the birthday wishes Wally. It is greatly appreciated.

I emailed Tate's a few times, and wasn't really able to get much of a response, until today. He replied, apologizing for the delay, and said he would have some in April, maybe May, depending on how the weather reacts (we all know what that's like). I asked if he could put me on the list for three. Hopefully it works out.

I think I might take you up on your offer Wally. What type of work are you talking about? Inspections, honey slinging? Or help with the rearing? It's always worthwhile to watch how someone else manages their bees. Always something to learn.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Just help me raise some queens and you can have part of them. I seldom get honey, and when I do, it's only a super or two. I do cutouts and sell bees.

PS. On the front page where you click on the forum, there is a new forum just under it. Worldwidebeekeeping.com. Check it out.