Nursebee

Re: European Hornets

Post by red rambler »

Looks like a very personal response.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

They're back! I saw 2 European Hornets snatching honey bees at dusk this evening. I guess everything is happening early this year.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Badmitten racket time......
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Raids are on the increase. I used my trusty cap to knock down and kill 3 hornets in front of my home hives yesterday. I was able to kill 3 of the queens very early in the season and hate to think about the number of European Hornets I would be dealing with if all had established nests.
WannaBee1
Forager

Post by WannaBee1 »

Anyone in Guilford County seeing European Hornets this year? I'm hearing about them doing a lot of hive damage in Union County. Does someone know if there traps for these that won't attract or harm honey bees? Thanks in advance for any information and/or advice.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I haven't seen European Hornets yet. The queens that are out early are usually quite large. If I see them at the hives and can kill them, it really cuts down on the numbers I have to contend with later in the season. I am seeing yellow jacket queens in the back yard searching for potential hive locations. They are larger than regular yellow jackets, but considerably smaller than most European Hornets.

I haven't tried traps of any kind. Old GCBA hats work fine for me when I am knocking them down on my driveway pad and stepping on them. I am a bit rusty on my swing and will need to get into practice for this season.
llbstones
Newbee

Post by llbstones »

Iv seen where you can make a bait and kill the colony. You take the ingredient (fipronil) in the dog flea med, mix it with a canned chicken/tuna type meat that the hornets/yellow jackets will go to and they take it back to colony, feed to queen/brood. Just make sure nothing else like an animal can get into it or drag it off.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I killed my first European Hornet this evening. I'll be paying the price for having missed killing a queen or two earlier this season and now have to contend with the foragers.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I have killed several of these in the last couple of days. I did not see/kill any queens early in the season and now the foragers are on the hunt.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I knocked down and killed the first European Hornet I have seen this season. Hopefully, this means one less colony to develop and feed on my bees.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I killed my first of the year yesterday as well, but it was at Badin Lake. :D
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I saw my first European Hornet of the season at the house this morning. I hope I get a shot at this queen so that I can keep a larger colony of hunters from developing.