Creamed Honey

Post your questions about honey, candlemaking, mead, or pollen here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

mmclauchlin

Creamed Honey

Post by mmclauchlin »

Where can I buy some good quality local creamed honey? I plan on using the creamed honey as starter for making my own supply?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I have seen it at the Sandy Ridge Farmers market. I have never tried it. Don't know where it came from or how good it is.
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

Brushy Mnt sells a 12 oz. container of creamed honey. Although its clover and not local if you use 10% mixed with your honey and use that to start your 2nd batch it will be 99% your honey.

I started a batch today and it blended up pretty.
mike91553
Guard bee

Creamed honey

Post by mike91553 »

My creamed honey turned out great, very smooth and firm. The clover flavor really overpowers the natural flavors in my honey but not nearly as bad in the 2nd batch. It is still very good anyway even though the seed honey changed my flavor more than I was expecting.
dhamiltn
Nursebee

Re: Creamed Honey

Post by dhamiltn »

Mike, I'm thinking about making one or two gallons of creamed honey this year. It looks like I just need to get the honey to 95-100 degrees, then stir in the seed (being careful not to introduce too much air in the process), and then let sit for a few days until it's ready to be jarred. However, if you wait too long to jar it, it gets too firm and may have to be melted again.

If you have any further advice on the process, please let me know.
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

That sounds about right but be careful with the heat or you could turn it all back to liquid honey. I think different types of honeys have a different temperature that they turn back liquid and I wouldn't risk going to 95. The ideal temperature for it to set up is around 58 degrees F.
dhamiltn
Nursebee

Post by dhamiltn »

the logic appears to be that 95 deg F is high enough to melt any existing crystals, and that adding the seed will bring the temp down cool enough to prevent melting. i'll give it a go and report results.