Mountain Mint

Bee related information that doesnt fit any where else

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Jacobs
Guard bee

Mountain Mint

Post by Jacobs »

The mountain mint I planted last fall is just beginning to bloom. Even with a small number of blooms out now, the honey bees are working it. I expect it will be fully bloomed and and heavily worked for nectar in July, August, and September.
rbunch

Re: Mountain Mint

Post by rbunch »

What type of mountain mint did you plant? I saw some of this stuff about a month ago (I think) blooming at the Aboretum and it was clearly the favorite of all things blooming there. I tried looking it up and saw a view varieties. I think it was "Pycnanthemum muticum". Can you give a recommendation on where to get some roots?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

The variety you named is the one planted at the Arboretum and the one I purchased. I went on line and searched for sources. There weren't many and buying 50 plugs was fairly expensive by price and with shipping. I am hoping to extend my planting by scuffing up the ground around my plants and having the seed drop on receptive soil rather than on the grass/weeds that surround my small plot. I am also hoping to find more about how to collect, preserve and plant the seeds that do form.
reedyfork
Guard bee

Post by reedyfork »

Shoot, I wish I had known you were going to plant this and I could have given you some! Mountain mint, like all mints, will spread (vigorously) on its own - not by seed, but by surface runners/roots. Luckily, it can be easily pulled and divided, and is not as aggressive as other mints. Early next spring (like March) let me know and I can supplement what you have so you can quickly expand.

One other tip: if left alone it will grow to 4' tall and then will tend to flop over after some heavy rains. I always cut mine back on June 1 to about 18" off the ground. It will delay blooming by a couple weeks to around July 1 (this summer), but will mature to 3' tall and will not flop over.