Plant info and observed timing

Bee related information that doesnt fit any where else

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

reedyfork
Guard bee

Plant info and observed timing

Post by reedyfork »

I'm a landscape contractor and wanna-bee gardener, so I'm really excited about the various flowering plants and nectar/pollen sources! In case anyone's interested, I had a couple observations:

1. My three 'Emily Brunner' hollies bloomed from ~April 1-15. It was really cool to see all the bees loving those flowers!
2. I have now seen at least two tulip poplars on my block that are in full bloom. I just happened to notice today, but guessing they've been open for at least a few days now (central Greensboro).
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Plant info and observed timing

Post by Jacobs »

Bees were working Winter Honeysuckle at the Arboretum a little after 1:30pm today.
Winter_Honeysuckle_IMG_3531.JPG
Winter_Honeysuckle_IMG_3531.JPG (70.8 KiB) Viewed 26485 times
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

A few of the flowering quince buds have opened as blooms today, though most have not. I cannot see what the red maples are doing, but my bees have shown far less interest in the dry pollen substitute than they have at any time since I started putting it out.
reedyfork
Guard bee

Post by reedyfork »

For the past few days, my bees have been steadily bringing in pollen of all colors - orange, light yellow, greenish-grey. No idea where its all coming from, but glad they're taking advantage while they can!
WannaBee1
Forager

Post by WannaBee1 »

The ladies were coming back with pollen baskets full of bright yellow pollen yesterday in here in Lindley Park, Greensboro.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Mahonia_IMG_0395.jpg
Mahonia_IMG_0395.jpg (40.93 KiB) Viewed 24447 times
Leatherleaf Mahonia is blooming at the Arboretum. David next door said his mother's large mahonia was blooming about a week ago.