Adding wax to pre-waxed plastic foundation

Bee related information that doesnt fit any where else

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

WannaBee1
Forager

Adding wax to pre-waxed plastic foundation

Post by WannaBee1 »

Does anyone have a better method for adding wax to plastic foundation? I've been melting wax I've refined then using a large watercolor brush to paint it on the 'pre-waxed' foundation. This isn't working very well. I've used larger brushed (like a small exterior paintbrush) but that didn't go well either. Has anyone found an easier and/or better way that actually works?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Adding wax to pre-waxed plastic foundation

Post by Jacobs »

The method I started using takes a lot of wax--around 1 oz. per medium plastic foundation. I have a large stock pot devoted only to wax processing in its various stages. For coating plastic foundation, I fill the pot nearly full of water and add my wax. I turn on the heat and melt the wax. It floats on the top of the water. I don't have the water at boiling, but still hot where it keeps the wax melted. I dip half the foundation, turn it around and dip the other half letting the excess water and wax drip back into the stock pot. It can be a bit messy. I have read that the thicker the amount of melted wax on the top of the water, the thicker the coating of wax on the foundation. I couldn't swear to this. Most of the foundation gets quite a thick coat of wax. The bees seem ok with it and appear to move the excess out to where they want it. This takes a lot more wax than my paint brushing melted wax onto frames, but it is a lot quicker and easier.
DuaneB
Guard bee

Post by DuaneB »

I use a 4" foam roller to apply the melted wax. I make sure the roller is well submerged and soaks up a lot of melted wax, and roll it across the foundation. Works well. I don't have a lot of wax, like Rob does, so I do what I can to apply a thick layer and paint many frames.
WannaBee1
Forager

Post by WannaBee1 »

Thanks for the advice. I'll give these methods a try. Sharing ideas and technique for this and that is one of the best things about the GCBA. If others have ideas for this process, please feel free to post. Thanks in advance.