EPA and BT for Wax Moth-Comment Period

Postings related to current events or news about honey bees and beekeeping

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Jacobs
Guard bee

EPA and BT for Wax Moth-Comment Period

Post by Jacobs »

https://mailchi.mp/dadant.com/abj-extra ... 15fb405077

Proposed registration of a BT product for wax moth control on combs--comment period is open.
WannaBee1
Forager

Re: EPA and BT for Wax Moth-Comment Period

Post by WannaBee1 »

Can someone shed some light on this. As it is written, this doesn't make sense to me:

"EPA expects minimal to no exposure to honey bees and other nontarget organisms because of the method and timing of application. As noted, beekeepers would make a one-time treatment directly to empty honeycomb frames prior to winter storage. And hives maintain temperatures above 35°C, thus preventing Bta ABTS 1857 spore viability (which declines at 30°C) when hives are returned to the treated frames in the spring,"

Also, if the "EPA expects minimal to no exposure to honey bees...," It also sounds like it hasn't been very well tested. I hate wax moths as much as (or more than) most beeks, but I don't want to test it on my bees.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

BT was approved years ago, but I think the registration expired and there wasn't enough money in it for companies to pay the costs for a new registration. Dipel is a form of BT that I believe can be used on organic crops and is effective for things like tomato horn worms. You can apply it to the plant in the morning and harvest in the afternoon. It does not work on wax moth larvae.

The form of BT under consideration is effective against wax moths. It has been approved for years for use on a wide variety of fruits and vegetables under the brand name, Xentari. I am not sure that what is being considered for approval is the EXACT match for Xentari, which is also a BT, subsp. aizawai, but it would be awfully close.

Another subspecies of BT is the one used in mosquito dunks.
WannaBee1
Forager

Post by WannaBee1 »

Thanks for the info, Rob. Next question: would you use it?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Yes!
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

X2.