Wayne's bees

Maybe you are looking for something specific or maybe you just have some beekeeping supplies you no longer need. Post it here and see what happens.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

herbcoop
Forager

Re: Wayne's bees

Post by herbcoop »

Wally wrote:
That is, if mine make it to spring. I haven't looked at them but once, and didn't do anything then, since June.
June, thats not long sfter i got mine. That hive is large and strong going in. Hadn't seen much activity so i got my stethoscope out and listened to the side of it..Awesome sound. I did a split off of it July 8th, that hive is small and not sure if it'll make it, i was pleasantly surprised when i listened, i had to tap the side and then heard them.
Last edited by herbcoop on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

If you made a split in September, did you put a mated queen in it or have them attempt to make one? That normally would be awfully late in the season to try allowing them to requeen.
herbcoop
Forager

Post by herbcoop »

Jacobs wrote:If you made a split in September, did you put a mated queen in it or have them attempt to make one? That normally would be awfully late in the season to try allowing them to requeen.
Sorry Robert, I did that off my phone.. It was July 8th I did the split
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Got it. Whether you buy or raise a Wayne's queen, Wally has told me to keep track of it and not to treat for varroa. If it inherits the desired traits, the hive does well without treating. If the hive dwindles or fails to survive varroa, that line needs to go anyway. My neighbor has a Wayne's queen hive about 4 years old that has never been treated and is still going strong.

I'm on Larry Tate's list for a couple of 2014 Wayne's queens, and I hope to help Wally raise more from his hives this coming spring. I want them for some of my "out yards" that do not get as close attention and are not as close to neighbors as my back yard hives.
specialkayme
Forager

Post by specialkayme »

Wally wrote:Just help me raise some queens and you can have part of them.
You got yourself a deal. Let me know when you want to get started, and I'll be happy to come on down.
Wally wrote:PS. On the front page where you click on the forum, there is a new forum just under it. Worldwidebeekeeping.com. Check it out.
Will do. Thanks for the tip.