Heavy Scouting

Bee related information that doesnt fit any where else

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Jacobs
Guard bee

Heavy Scouting

Post by Jacobs »

I went out this evening to the sight and sound of louder than normal bees exploring supers of old comb I plan to cycle out of use. Given the 2 move-in swarms I have had come to stacks of supers with a rotted corner, I deliberately set up a stack of 5 mediums with old comb and a telescoping top. The rotted corner super is the 2nd from the bottom. I took a very small sealing bag, put a squirt of swarm commander in it along with a bent q-tip. I sealed it, poked a few pin holes in it, and put it on top of frames away from the opening, but on the same level. I did this 2 days ago. I don't know if the final vote will be for this location, but the activity started early this evening and I hope it will build in the morning.

Time will tell (and so will I if anything happens).
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Heavy Scouting

Post by Jacobs »

It doesn't look like I was able to close the sale--activity slowed about a day after I posted.
DuaneB
Guard bee

Post by DuaneB »

Bummer!
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Activity really picked up this morning, and it looks like I made the sale this time. I'll post in the Swarms category.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Today is the first day I can confidently say there has been scouting activity at my bait hives. It started as 1 or 2 bees a little over an hour ago and has built up to 15 or 20 bees. I don't know if they will decide to move in, but it is encouraging to see some activity.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Down to just 1 or 2 bees at the bait hive. I had hoped for an easy swarm catch; the season is still young.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Not heavy, but scouting has started again at my bait hives at the house.