Nursebee

Red Maple

Post by whg3 »

My Red Maple is blooming!
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Red Maple

Post by Jacobs »

Thanks for posting. I could see some buds enlarging, but, thanks to red-green color blindness, without my binoculars and a strong sun, I have trouble seeing most red maple blooms. I was seeing bright yellow pollen coming in yesterday, but did not see the olive green pollen, that I rightly or wrongly associate with red maple. If the bees are flying today, I will pay more attention.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I have seen buds swelling over the last week, and today, with binoculars, was able to see open red maple blooms on a few of the trees in neighbors' yards. My bees have been hitting the water heavily for 3 or 4 days which is usually a sign of increased brood rearing this time of year.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

In the last week, I have seen crocus, red maple, yellow bell, and henbit bloomed. Acres of henbit in the Farmer area southwest of asheboro.
quentin
Forager

Post by quentin »

Have a Red Maple stating to bloom, no activity from the bees yet.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s5E1OK ... sp=sharing
quentin
Forager

Post by quentin »

Bees are steadily working the Red Maple in my backyard today.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I looked in on the bees at the Arboretum this afternoon. They have been working leatherleaf mahonia and were working winter honeysuckle, though this is a little past its prime. I have shims on both hives and was a bit surprised that the stronger hive has begun to build small amounts of burr comb. I didnot see any drone brood in the few cells, but that is what will go in them if the queen moves up. I hope to check bees in Brown Summit in the next few days and see what is going on in the shims on those. My house bees didn't get shims and bricks. I can easily keep an eye on them.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I saw some red maple blooms on some trees yesterday, but most of the trees I see are not that far along.
rbunch

Post by rbunch »

I've seen bees actively working red maple blooms in Colfax. The first day I saw bees on them was 2/16. Some of the maples seem to bloom much earlier than others.
MarkCase
Nursebee

Post by MarkCase »

Red maple is blooming!
Beez Needz in Sophia: February 17, 2024
Randleman NC February 17, 2024
Southern Guilford High, February 18, 2024