Small Hive Beetles

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Pharmacyman
Nursebee

Small Hive Beetles

Post by Pharmacyman »

I just did that final varroa check on my strong hive and saw maybe a dozen or more SHBs. In the past I had used the plastic traps that go in between the frames (mineral oil), but this year I used Beetle Bee-Gone sheets. Beetles were worse today than they were in August. Should I be using another type trap along with Beetle Bee-Gone? With colder weather coming will the problem take care of itself or should I take some action now?
Pharmacyman
Nursebee

Re: Small Hive Beetles

Post by Pharmacyman »

P.S. I read an older post that said that a Varroa problem can weaken a hive and make SHBs worse. My mite count today was 4.3%
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I think the sheets take awhile to be effective. The bees chew on them in an attempt to remove them and the fuzz that develops traps the beetles. If these aren't working for you, go back to the traps or add in traps along with the sheets. I never had much luck with traps, but have visited other beekeepers who had lots of SHB in their traps.

Expect adult small hive beetles to over winter with your bees. They may eat eggs, but if not in large numbers the bees will keep them in check. As weather cools and areas outside the cluster drop in temperature, hive beetles will not lay eggs that emerge into the harmful larval phase. For now, make sure the bees are strong enough to patrol their space and keep the adult SHB in check.
Pharmacyman
Nursebee

Post by Pharmacyman »

I treated for Varroa in August and afterward did a sugar shake test later that month. I had zero mites shake out. Then I test in October and have lots of mites (4.3%). Is that surprising to you? Have you seen Varroa come back that hard and fast?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

That's why I answered your post under mites the way I did.

""October is approx. when drones are kicked out and will be visiting other hives looking for food and shelter. They are the #1 transporter of mites. I would definitely do a mite check about the first frost forecast.""

Yes, it is that time,
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

With any luck, these 2 rapid but intense back to back cold snaps will knock down the population of SHB overwintering outside of hives. Last year's very brief cold snap didn't do much to reduce the SHB population as far as I could see.