Solstice

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Solstice

Post by Jacobs »

My bees at the house are bringing in lots of pollen and showing very little interest in the honey water feeder. I have seen lots of leatherleaf mahonia, camellias, some quince, and some dandelions in bloom. Given the 70°F+ weather we have been having, it looks like several of my queens have decided to ramp up brood rearing. I think I will keep the honey water available and get my brewers yeast mix ready. When these plants get slammed by cold weather, I don't want brood or bees starving. If the bees make it and continue to brood up, swarm prevention measures are going to have to come earlier this season. I would gladly have that problem.
donwal
Guard bee

Post by donwal »

My girls also busy bringing in pollen today.

https://www.facebook.com/donna.r.wallac ... 5707172252
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Happy bee new year 2016. It has not been as warm as last year so I an not seeing the mahonia in bloom just yet. I'll check David's quince later today. I plan to celebrate this morning by treating my McLeansville hives with oxalic acid vaporization. There are a lot of good reminders in this "New Year" string of posts, so I hope folks will read and will join the conversation on the forum board this year so we can keep building a very local base of knowledge.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Happy bee new year 2017. I have seen a few dandelion blooms, but this more normal fall weather-wise means we are not getting the early blooming like 2015 or 2016. The mahonia I have seen are budding, but appear nowhere near blooming. Hives I checked the day before yesterday have not started building up brood. I am going to start my brood stimulation efforts (pollen substitute/pollen patties & thin sugar water feed) at the house in hopes of getting enough early brood rearing to be able to boost weaker hives with brood frames and young nurse bees as soon as possible.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

If you are planning to raise a few early queens, you may want to install a couple of "green" frames to try and get some early drones.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

18 days to go.

Friday, Dec. 21, 2018 at 5:23 PM will be winter solstice. As the days get longer, the queens will begin laying for spring bees. It will start in the south and move northward and increase as the days get longer and the flows begin.

Just remember, most hives that starve will do so in the last weeks before bloom. The supplies will be running low and the brood, IE: mouths to feed, will be increasing. Heft your hives often and feed as needed.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Happy Bee New Year 2018. News 2, as of 5:00 a.m., says Greensboro is .2 of an inch away from tying the wettest year on record and that we have a good chance of getting that with the current weather system. Our winter so far has been a little cooler than normal with lots of clouds and rain. Some time during the day I plan on taking a look at some of the early blooming plants around the neighborhood to see how far along they are. "Mite Patrol" activity is picking up since this low brood period is a good time to learn OAV for varroa mite control. My impression is that many of my hives are not as strong as I would like them to be. I'll be checking as weather permits, but will be lifting them regularly. I don't want to lose any that might make it because I let them starve.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Saturday, December 21, is winter solstice for us, but it is the first day of spring for the bees. As the days get longer, the queen will ramp up egg laying to get ready for the flowers. Your hive population will double to triple before the first flower blooms, so the food will go much faster. The consumption of winter stores will increase as the number of new mouths to feed increase. Starvation will be much more of a problem as the stores decrease before the first nectar becomes available. Keep this in mind and watch your hives carefully.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Happy Bee New Year 2019. There are a few dandelions in bloom, but I haven't seen bees on them. The leatherleaf mahonias are a long way from blooming. I'll check out David's flowering quince later this morning. My bees are bringing in pollen from somewhere, probably camellias in the neighborhood. Wally's advice is a good reminder to all of us. I hope everyone has a successful over-wintering.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Happy bee new year 2020. While not what we (people) should be doing with covid-19, I'm hoping my bees will be in large clusters these cool/cold mornings so I can finish up OAV treatments while brood in hives is at its lowest. Here's hoping that life will get closer to normal this spring/summer and that it will be safe enough for beekeepers to get back together in large groups soon.
quentin
Forager

Post by quentin »

Thanks for the nudge on this thread. Think I'll plant some camellias this year. Sunday or Monday looks like good days to be hefting hives and feeding.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Happy bee New Year 2021. We've had a cool, but not cold November, and a warm December so far. Bees have been flying a lot, and although they have shown only a modest interest in the nectarometer, it is hard to imagine that they are bringing in enough nectar to replace the stores they are burning through. I got my OAV taken care of at the house yesterday and plan to finish up the rest of my hives tomorrow. Covid-19 is still a factor in whether folks show up for our in-person GCBA meetings, and we are keeping up hope that the situation will permit us to hold our scheduled in-person beginner beekeeping course in January, 2022. Check hive weights regularly so your bees don't starve as brood rearing picks up and keep water available for the bees when they can fly.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Happy bee New Year 2022. Check out Wally's post under "Winter Solstice." Maybe the Arctic blast we are getting Friday and the bitter cold of the 2-3 days following will cut down on the SHB we will have to deal with in the coming bee season. Bees are showing solid interest in the nectarometer but have been limited in getting to it by the cool, cloudy weather we have had for a good part of December. A few of the speedwell plants in my garlic area have bloomed. I expect the freeze to take care of the blooms, but the plants will be fine.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Happy Bee New Year 2023. With more normal winter temperatures so far this year, we can only hope that it is enough to knock down some of the over wintering SHB that have found locations outside of our hives. Last year's short Arctic Blast wasn't enough to do the job. Bees are showing a small interest in the nectarometer and although a little of the speedwell was in bloom a few weeks ago, none is now in bloom in my "garlic patch."

I plan to keep a bowl of pollen substitute powder beside my nectarometer to encourage early build up of my home hives. It means keeping the substitute available once started, and if it does what I hope, it also means very active swarm controls in my future. The vaporizer is out and I'll get busy with it today and tomorrow.