single deep swarm trap???

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

TooBusy
Newbee

single deep swarm trap???

Post by TooBusy »

Hey all
I've been seeing a good many honey bees in the adjacent neighbors yard.

Would a single deep with 3 or 4 frames of old drawn comb be a good swarm trap? I'm hoping there will be some swarm scouts in those workers.
Wally
Guard bee

Re: single deep swarm trap???

Post by Wally »

Yes, but with ten frames in it would be better. Less than that and you will be cutting the wild comb from the lid. Bees hate frames and will use the free space to draw comb before using the frames.
TooBusy
Newbee

Post by TooBusy »

Thanks Wally
I'll go toss in some more old comb and bare foundation to fill the box
TooBusy
Newbee

Post by TooBusy »

I've been watching scouts look over the hive for the past few days. Yesterday there were probably 100+/- coming and going throughout the afternoon, seemed to bee interested in the hive box, but not bringing in any resources.

This morning just before noon I glanced out my office window and saw a bee tornado in the back yard. THOUSANDS of bees in the air. A minute later they began covering the front of the hive box. Took this pic while most were still flying.

Went out for a run to burn off the excitement and came back an hour later. They've moved in and have a row of guards protecting the entrance. Several hundred making orientation flights.

Looks like I have new tenants.
Last edited by TooBusy on Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Congrats.....