Honey from wax cappings

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

DuaneB
Guard bee

Honey from wax cappings

Post by DuaneB »

I run 9 frames in a 10 frame box for getting honey. They draw the wax out thicker than the frame, making removal with a knife easy and helps to balance out the extractor. What process do you use to get the honey from the wax cappings, as there is a good bit of honey in the cappings?

Thanks!
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Honey from wax cappings

Post by Jacobs »

I have 2-3 stainless steel screened strainers and stainless bowls. I let the cappings drip through for several days, then run that honey through the plastic strainers in a jarring bucket. I tend to keep this honey separate from the main crop and use it for personal consumption and for giving to family and friends. I remember seeing some type of screened bags for cappings that could then be placed in extractors so that you could sling honey from the cappings. You might google the concept to see if those are still available.
reedyfork
Guard bee

Re: Honey from wax cappings

Post by reedyfork »

When I uncap, they fall into a 5-gal bucket lined with a paint strainer. I can then pick up the bag, tie a knot, and let it hang for a couple days while the honey drips out into the bucket. I might squeeze it a few times, and then when it's done dripping I'll put it out for the bees to clean up.