February honey

Post your questions about honey, candlemaking, mead, or pollen here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Kurt Bower
Guard bee

February honey

Post by Kurt Bower »

Went in to a hive today to find them storing honey. The color is very light with just a hint of yellow. The taste is unique and one that I have never had. I have also never seen the bees make honey this early and it be ripe in the cells. Any thoughts as to what it might be?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: February honey

Post by Jacobs »

Red Maples are still blooming around my house. Could they be getting that much nectar from them? I don't know of any other significant nectar producer in bloom now. Did it look like the honey in the picture I posted not too long ago? see it here- viewtopic.php?t=2596
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

My honey was almost clear with a tint of yellow. Similar to your earlier post. I was expecting it to taste like maple syrup. I had heard about maple honey from an older beekeeper many years ago. No one other than he had ever got any. Blueberry honey doesn’t taste like blueberries so I shouldn’t have been surprised.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Plum trees, pear trees, other fruit trees are in full bloom. Also strawberries and whatever else is around. I am seeing lots of different blooms.