Bees Collecting Pollen Sub

Bee related information that doesnt fit any where else

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Bees Collecting Pollen Sub

Post by Jacobs »

I put out a bowl of dry pollen substitute by my nectarometer (honey water jar feeder) this morning to see how the bees would react. They are showing real interest in both. I may take advantage of this warm period to put some pollen substitute patties on hives at the house. I know that once I start, I must keep them on until a strong natural pollen source (red maple) is available. I want the problem of booming populations early.
DuaneB
Guard bee

Post by DuaneB »

I've had one of those "Big Blue" dry pollen feeders out since Oct. My bees, and others I've noticed, has been working on it steadily. I put out some 'cut out' honey filled comb for them to have over Christmas. Will see how that goes.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I put dry pollen substitute out by my "nectarometer" for the first time this morning. It took about 10 minutes for the bees to show a strong interest in it. I'll keep it out, weather permitting, until the Red Maple blooms. Hoping to have to deal with swarm issues when that season begins.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I can see large buds and small buds on red maples near my house, but the bees continue to be very interested in the pollen substitute I am putting out. They are also heavily into the water I keep out. If we do not get a brutal freeze, it looks like the maple bloom will be early this year. I'll look at blooms again as soon as the bees show less interest in the pollen substitute.