Bee related information that doesnt fit any where else

Moderators: Wally, Jacobs

Jacobs
Guard bee

Bees at the Greensboro Arboretum

Post by Jacobs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:48 am

Arboretum_IMG_2284.JPG
Arboretum_IMG_2284.JPG (59.51 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
David helped me move 2 hives to the Greensboro Arboretum yesterday morning. Although I have seen honey bees in the Arboretum each time I visited, folks there wanted the pollination activity that had been lost when a bee tree came down several years ago. I can't say if the bees will make a surplus of honey at this location, but I expect the pollen frames to be quite colorful.

WannaBee1
Forager

Re: Bees at the Greensboro Arboretum

Post by WannaBee1 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Is this a permanent installation in the Greensboro Arboretum? Are the hives sponsored by the GCBA or are they someone's personal hives? What a great teaching tool for the public and a wonderful way to increase pollination in the park! :D Another club member and I live within walking distance and wouldn't mind helping when and if needed.

Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:04 pm

Hopefully this is a permanent placement. It is not a GCBA sponsored activity.

Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:22 am

I re-populated these hives this morning with 10 frames each of mostly brood and bees from 2 late swarms I overwintered in nucs. The weather was not ideal, but I have almost given up on spring coming and staying.

Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:19 pm

The hives have survived 3 "out of bank" floodings this season. One hive is weak and the other is of decent strength. I'm going to keep an eye on both and hope weather/bees will cooperate so that I will be in a position to boost the weak hive sometime in February. I did see that there is a fairly newly planted sourwood tree in the small tree collection. I am looking forward to seeing when it blooms and if the bees will work it. And no, even if I see them working it, I won't be labeling what I may get as "sourwood honey."

Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:10 am

WHAT?? You mean if I see 1 bee on a Sourwood tree in my yard, I can't label my honey Sourwood honey? But I thought that explained why there are several times more Sourwood honey sold than is produced. :twisted: :P

Yes, folks, be careful who you buy Sourwood honey from. It may be 1/1000 or less Sourwood.

Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:12 pm

Neither hive made it through the last of winter, so I installed 2 new packages yesterday. It looks like a row of holly type plants along the baseball field are just days away from blooming.