Solstice

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Wally, Jacobs

Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Solstice

Post by Jacobs » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:54 am

My bees at the house are bringing in lots of pollen and showing very little interest in the honey water feeder. I have seen lots of leatherleaf mahonia, camellias, some quince, and some dandelions in bloom. Given the 70°F+ weather we have been having, it looks like several of my queens have decided to ramp up brood rearing. I think I will keep the honey water available and get my brewers yeast mix ready. When these plants get slammed by cold weather, I don't want brood or bees starving. If the bees make it and continue to brood up, swarm prevention measures are going to have to come earlier this season. I would gladly have that problem.

donwal
Guard bee

Post by donwal » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:21 pm

My girls also busy bringing in pollen today.

https://www.facebook.com/donna.r.wallac ... 5707172252

Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:53 am

Happy bee new year 2016. It has not been as warm as last year so I an not seeing the mahonia in bloom just yet. I'll check David's quince later today. I plan to celebrate this morning by treating my McLeansville hives with oxalic acid vaporization. There are a lot of good reminders in this "New Year" string of posts, so I hope folks will read and will join the conversation on the forum board this year so we can keep building a very local base of knowledge.

Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:53 am

Happy bee new year 2017. I have seen a few dandelion blooms, but this more normal fall weather-wise means we are not getting the early blooming like 2015 or 2016. The mahonia I have seen are budding, but appear nowhere near blooming. Hives I checked the day before yesterday have not started building up brood. I am going to start my brood stimulation efforts (pollen substitute/pollen patties & thin sugar water feed) at the house in hopes of getting enough early brood rearing to be able to boost weaker hives with brood frames and young nurse bees as soon as possible.

Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:24 pm

If you are planning to raise a few early queens, you may want to install a couple of "green" frames to try and get some early drones.