Pollen

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Wally, Jacobs

whg3
Nursebee

Pollen

Post by whg3 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Yesterday I was watching the girls and four of the six hives in the home yard were bringing pollen.. What are the finding this early in the year? :?:

Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Pollen

Post by Jacobs » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:40 pm

I have seen some yellow and some olive green pollen coming in. I always thought the olive green was red maple, but it is a little early for that. I have seen some leatherleaf mahonia open and bees working it and I think I saw some camellia in bloom down the street. I'm not seeing a lot of pollen coming in, but any I see is encouraging.

Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:21 pm

All hives at the house were bringing in pollen today. I take that as a hopeful sign. I added shims and sugar blocks to 2 more hives that felt light and had a large number of bees in the top (food) supers.

red rambler
Nursebee

Post by red rambler » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:01 pm

I noticed the same thing over on Rankin Place. They seemed to be busy when it was warm. I got a feeding in during the warm spell. Guessing ought do an inspection soon if we can get above 55. The seasonal forecast I saw suggest a warmer milder winter....